Tonight I had my first scary terrifying new mommy moment.
I put Matthew in his exercaucer so I could clean up the kitchen. Before I started loading the dishwasher, I decided I would cut up an apple to snack on while I cleaned.
Matthew was getting a little ansy in his exercaucer so I gave him a slice of apple to suck on (he has NO teeth). I thought he looked adorable trying to chomp on his apple so I grabbed my camera and started taking pictures of him.
(Not sure what's going on with his hair. Daddy 'styled' it).
I would take a picture, then preview it so I could adjust the settings on the camera.
I did this with several shots as I sat on the floor next to him.
Then I snapped this picture and was previewing it when I saw something white in his mouth in the picture!!
When I realized that it was a piece of the apple, I freaked out!
I quickly stuck my finger in and was able to get it out before he could swallow it!
Oh my goodness - I couldn't believe that I was dumb enough to give him the apple. I thought for sure there was no way he could bite it. I guess by chomping on it long enough, part of it got soggy and broke off.
I am grateful that I was sitting right there with him when it happened, versus doing the dishes or putting him in the next room where I couldn't see him.
I still feel SO awful! I'd probably take the award for worst mother of the year!
I am counting my blessings tonight that my baby is ok.
Lesson Learned!
9 comments:
My son ethan was about 15 months old and I chopped up some apple into small pieces pit them in a biggie and gave them to him in the car yip u guessed it he choked... it was awful... luckily he was just fine about 1015 min later. Don't feel bad it happens to all mommys
good catch mom!!! I am sure I will do the same thing one day. He is getting so big and handsome!!!!
Oh no!! glad he's okay!! Your son is a cutie!! Maybe your hubby was going for the Conan look with his hair! lol!
thank you for stopping at AboutBloggingTime! and for the comments! Looking forward to more of your posts!! Your newest follower!
That is a terrifying experience, for sure! I think most of us mothers have gone through that at some point. So glad to hear that all is well. My daughter has a little mesh bag thing for babies - that you put pieces of fruit in and they such it through the mesh, rather than ever having to deal with hunks of fruit that could break off.
You are NOT the worst mother in the world. We have all done something similiar to that. It happens--and you caught it. Just remember-this won't be the last time you get scared as a mom. I think you are doing wonderfully! And he is of course, one of the cutest nephews I have.
what a terrifying experience. glad everything is ok now. your son is so cute by the way thanks for sharing pictures of him to us. have a great weekend.
http://justtututiny.blogspot.com/
Thu
That would be scary! But you're hardly a terrible mother. Don't be too hard on yourself; we've all done things like that! Have you seen the food "net" things made by Munchkin brand? You can put the apple in it for him to chew / suck on safely! The flavor / juice will go through the net, but not any chunks. We got ours at Target. And you can also freeze baby food and put it in there for a good teething treat!
Don't feel bad, we all have those moments. I had one today. Kaitlyn came running up to me with a huge knife she pulled off the counter. It's amazing she didn't hurt herself or anyone else. Not my proudest moment.
You are definitely not the worst mother in the world!!! This kind of thing happens to a lot of mothers. The key is you found the apple and fixed it!!!
Post a Comment