Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Show & Tell - My 2005 trip to Vietnam

I am joining Mel's Show and Tell today.

One of the BEST trips I've ever taken was back to Vietnam in 2005. That was my first time back in over 20 years. My family escaped the communist country in the late 70's and spent a few years in a refugee camp in Thailand. We came to America in the early 80's. I was about three years old. I don't have any memories of Vietnam at all, that's why returning there was so important to me. I won't bore you with my life story, so I will just share a few of my favorite pictures from my trip.


This is me at the market holding up some Toddy Palm Seed. Love the exotic fruits there.
This is my maternal grandmother. She is the reason I am here today, literally (there's a story behind that, but I'll have to save it for another time). Before I decided to go on this trip, my grandmother was ill on and off for a while. I knew that I had to see her before it was too late and that she would not leave this world until we were reunited. When I first arrived, I will never forget the sparkle in her eyes, as she looked into my eyes and started crying. Due to a stroke, my grandmother could not speak and was paralyzed on the left side of her body, but I knew that she knew who I was and although she did not say it in words, her eyes said loudly 'Welcome Home.' Three months after my trip, she passed away.

This is a picture of my uncle (my dad's brother) and my paternal grandfather. Again, this is my first time 'meeting' them as I have no recollection of them at all as a child. My grandfather is around 90 years old. He is a sharp man for his age. My dad passed away in 1996 and I was never close to him at all until that year. That was my first semester away at college. It was also the first time in my life that I truly felt my dad's love for me. I distinctly remember the phone conversation I had with him two weeks before he died.
The opportunity to meet my dad's side of the family was priceless. My uncle looks exactly like my dad (duh, they're brothers), but I didn't realize how much until I first laid eyes on him at the airport. It felt like I was looking at my dad.
So, there you have it. My first trip back to Vietnam (I say 'first' trip because it certainly won't be my last). It truly was a trip of a lifetime. It help remind me how grateful I am for Eternal Families.

7 comments:

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Wow! That looks like it was quite a trip! Connecting with family roots is always important.

(and your family's story is incredible)

areyoukiddingme said...

Fantastic! I can't imagine not having my family around - it must have been very exciting and nerve-wracking to meet such special people again.

Once A Mother said...

How wonderful to get to make this trip and reconnect with your family. Thank you for sharing.

By the way, I think your life story sounds anything BUT boring haha so share away!

Kristin said...

Wow, what an incredible trip. I really want to hear the story about your grandma being the reason you are here today. I bet it is fascinating. SO glad you got to reconnect with everyone, especially your grandmother before she died.

..al said...

Did you say the word boring about your life story? Duh, no!

Am so glad that you got to go back to your roots...and I hope you are able to make the trip again.

Mrs. Farmer said...

Oh I want to hear the story about your grandmother!! Please share!!! I think that its a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Becky said...

What a history you have first hand of communist oppression! I wish people would listen and really understand what they are trying to do to our country.

That's really cool about your family and your grandma. They seem like great people, no surprise that your a granddaughter to amazing people.