Thursday, September 9, 2010

Papaya Bad?!?!

I had no idea! Thanks to the anonymous commenter who warned me about eating papaya during pregnancy!


I don't think I ate a ton of it over the weekend, but it still makes me nervous. 

Queue panick mode!  I goo.gled it and this is what I found:

"If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, avoid eating papaya or using a papaya product. Papaya is sometimes recommended for soothing indigestion, which is a common ailment during pregnancy. Although a fully ripe papaya is not considered dangerous, a papaya that is at all unripe contains a latex substance that triggers uterine contractions and may cause a miscarriage.

The papaya enzyme that helps soothe indigestion is called papain, or vegetable pepsin. Papain is found in the fruit's latex and leaves. 1 Researchers have noted that unripe papaya latex acts like prostaglandin and oxytocin, which the body makes to start labor. Synthetic prostaglandin and oxytocin are commonly used to start or strengthen labor contractions."

In short, if it's ripe it might be ok, but better not to risk it.
-from Yahoo Health

No more papaya for me! I have an appt with the OB today so I'm looking forward to seeing baby's heartbeat. 

THANK YOU anonymous commenter for letting me know!!

11 comments:

highheeledlife said...

Yeah!!! these appointments bring that much closer to the this wonderful blessing growing inside of you!!!

How wonderful that a blog friend was thoughful to share her knowledge of this fruit!!! XO HHL

Anonymous said...

I had no idea about papaya! Crazy, makes me wonder how many other potentially dangerous things are out there that I don't know about. Thanks for the tip!

Kim said...

Wow, I had no idea!!! it's amazing that food can cause contractions and/or miscarriage- mind-boggling!

Good luck at your appointment today -can't wait to hear all about it!

Fran said...

I didn't know it either!! Best of luck today!!

Than4Keeps said...

Oh my goodness...I totally forgot about that too. When I was pregnant, Van's mom and his niece from Thailand kept telling me not to eat papaya because of my situation too. I'm so sorry that I did not catch that.

Enjoy your moments today!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Who knew! So glad someone mentioned that to you.

Hope today's appointment goes well!

Than4Keeps said...

Hannah...we can replace papaya salad with noodle salad, carrot salad, cucumber salad or sour apple salad...let me know if these are okay to consume :)

Katie Olthoff said...

Never heard of that. Might be something good to eat if I go overdue like I did with Adam!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have known either! I am glad someone was kind enough to mention it. So excited for you!!

Krystal said...

Never would of even noticed. Glad someone brought it to your attention!

Annette said...

I'm glad that comment went through last night... Blogger was being stupid last night and wouldn't work properly or let me log in, but I wanted you to know as you said you wanted to make it more often on your own. I remembered it from when my mom freaked out on me one day for eating papaya (she's a nurse)...funny thing is that we were only married a few months and I was very much on birth control! It sounded yummy...just have to wait 7 more months...but it's one of those things that is worth it!