And the party continues....(click here for Part 1 ).
I saw this sign online a while back and loved the saying. I think it fits us perfectly. I had a friend make the vinyl for me and I painted the piece of wood to match the color scheme. I love it!
These tissue pom poms are the easiest to make and the quickest way to add a splash of color.
(Thank you to our friends Mary and Steve for helping us get ready for the party! They came over and helped us finish last minute cleaning and details. I showed Mary how to make the pom poms and she finished them for me. They truly were such a BIG help! I can't thank them enough.)
Here's the monthly picture banner I made for the mantle. This one showed case the pictueres we took of Matthew and the entire bear. The other banner had Matthew's face close up (no bear in the picture).
In the Vietnamese culture, for the first birthday, the custom is to place the baby in front of an array of objects and the first object they reach for is thought to predict their future.
Here is the tray we put in front of Matthew. It consisted of a comb (meaning he will be well groomed), Money envelope (wealth), Pen/note pad (Writer), Rice Ball (that's the sweet pink rice ball below-represents prosperity), scissors (a tailor?), calculator (business man).
I was so crazy busy running around and doing stuff that I forgot to add some things to the tray! I wanted to add a book (smart/scholary), a key (traveler), and a computer mouse (techie). Oh well.
So what did Matthew choose??
The Calculator!!
(I hope he inherit's his daddy's math skills because momma is SO bad in math!)
CAKE TIME!!
We got a smash cake for Matthew to do his smash cake photos (more to come on that later), but decided to just make one BIG cupcake for him at his party.
(Thanks grandma Whitcomb for making all the cupcakes!)
First things first....gotta strip the birthday boy down to his birthday suit.
And we couldn't forget the bowtie!
While we sang Happy Birthday, Matthew did NOT want to give up his calculator (see it in the background below?). I helped him blow out his candle and then let him go at his cupcake. At first he wasn't so sure about it, then he squished it between his hands and started eating. He didn't even blink when I put on his birthday hat!
My mom ordered a Vietnamese cake for Matthew too. It's one of my favorites, but Steve's not a fan of it. It's kind of like sponge cake with coconut gel in the middle. Yummy! Matthew didn't get any because he was all caked out by this time.
After cake, he had to go in the tub for a quick clean up!
Click here for {Part 3}
or {Part 1}




19 comments:
Love the pictures of the birthday party! All the decorations are so pretty!
oh my goodness mama it turned out AMAZING!!!
I love the photo banner and balloon wreath! Looked like an amazing party!
As an accountant, I love that he picked the calculator! Great pics - adorable!!!
Adorable pics!! He is so cute. Again, you totally outdid yourself - everything is perfect!!
Ohmygosh! What a Great party! That photo bunting and that sign are WONderful!
Ohmygosh! What a fantastic party! I absolutely love the photo bunting and the "everything" sign. You did a WONderful job!
My invitation must've been lost in the mail ;-)
The party looks like it was an absolute BLAST! What a great time! The food looks awesome, the decor...everything! WOW!
I agree it is hard to be your own photographer, but it's hard too to get someone to photograph what you want :-P Great job Mama!
In the Polish culture, you give the first birthday baby the choice of a half dollar, rosary, or shot glass (all self explanatory). Looks like a great time!
I can't get enough of this party! If I had been invited I think I would have stole just about every little nicknack decoration you used. It's all so damn cute. I really, really, really can't describe how much I love it and what a wonderful job you did!
WOW!!!! You are one amazing mom! I love what you did for Matthew's first birthday. I wish we could have been there too. It looked so fun. :) Happy belated Birthday to Matthew! :)
awww!!! everything is simply perfect and I really love that saying. I may have to copy it!!!!! :D
Hey, not sure how to get my setting so you can reply to comments. I live in Northern Va, ten minutes outside of DC! I just realized when you asked that you're from VA too! That's excititng cause not many mommy blogger I know are. Where are you located?
what an adorable party! happy birthday to your cute little boy!!
Everything is SO cute! You did an amazing job and Matthew looked like the happiest boy on his special day! :)
So cute! I'm glad you found the info you wanted on the thoi noi tradition!
How adorable is Matthew! The party looks fun and he looks so happy :)
I'm on my 31st week and having a boy - so I have these things to look forward to.
Red Soles and Red Wine
You have such great taste! You dress Matthew up sooo cute!
the bowtie and diaper is the perfect and handsome combination. and that first blue sign is so sweet, might have to copy those words somewhere in my house! love love
Post a Comment