Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Enter The Dragon

Happy Chinese/Vietnamese New Year!
Also known as Tet (Vietnamese version of the Lunar New Year).
This is the year of the dragon. 

Matthew wore his cute little chinese outfit to church on Sunday and got lots of compliments.

After church, we went to celebrate the new year with family.  It is customary to hand out little red envelopes with money inside to all the little children.  The value inside the evelopes range from $2 (for the babies) to about $10 (for the older kids).  But on average, it's about $5.  Matthew had no interest in his little red envelopes, but momma made sure she put it in a safe place for him.  He ended up with a total of $25.  Not too shabby. (Do babies pay tithing on their 'earnings'??)


The house was filled with lots of noise and laughter as the children played and 'gambled' away their newfound fortune. My wonderful husband was such a trooper because he can only handle the noise level for so long, but he endured (as usual).


There was lots of yummy food and treats!  Another custom is to pay respects to the ancestors by lighting incense and leaving food out on the alter.  The picture below, in the bottom right, is the alter my aunt set up for my maternal grandmother (who passed away a few years ago).  My mom has a similiar alter set up for my dad, who passed 15 years ago.

I also called Vietnam and talked to my aunt and uncle to wish them a happy new year.  Oh how I wish I can go back and visit again.  Maybe when Matthew gets older I can take him back to his motherland! (haha).

We had a great weekend celebrating the new year with family.  I hope and pray this year of the dragon will bring many more blessings to our family. 

16 comments:

Jessica White said...

Happy New Year! Matthew looks adorable in his outfit!

Laurie said...

Matthew is so cute (as usual) in his outfit!

Happy New Year!

Hillary said...

Happy new year! He is absolutely adorable in that outfit and I love that first picture!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! What great pictures you got and what beautiful outfits. Looks like a very festive time and very cool to be able to teach Matthew about his motherland :)

Delenn said...

Happy New Year! Love his outfit!

We went to a marionette show about the Monkey King and we got fortunes in red envelopes from the Laughing Buddha.

I hope this year is a great one for you and your family!

Tracy said...

So cool!! I love the outfits!!

Cranberry Morning said...

What wonderful photos! Love those sweet little outfits. :-)

Mindee said...

Your little boy is so stinkin cute!! Love his outfit! Happy new year to your family : )

prettymeggy said...

happy new year to you and to your family!!!!!!!! Matthew is such adorable.. I always love his pictures, he's always smiling!!!
my baby.. he don't like camera he always hide!!!
xoxo, Haus of Gala

simplyvonne said...

he look so cute in that lil outfit! i was trying to find an outfit for Kaylee but had a hard time, hopefully I can find somethng for next year :D Kaylee got a lot of li xi too but we just put it in her hello kitty bank so not sure how much is in there :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about this tradition in your family. I found it really interesting. I especially like how you remember loved ones who have passed away. Their outfits were adorable!

his little lady said...

oh goodness, could his outfit be any cuter? i think not!
it all looks like such a fun holiday! happy new year!
xo TJ

Anonymous said...

i sent you an email about the shirt =]

-chelsea

Lori said...

Adorable pictures Hannah! You have such a good eye. Happy Chinese New Year! :) Hope to see you and the family at some point in the next year. You and Steve are amazing parents. So proud of you both for your faith and dedication.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I just melted! The outfit is so adorably. I need to get me some for my kiddos next time when we celebrate the new years! Beautiful! Happy New Year's to you, too! :D

Bethany said...

Happy New Year! I love all of the photos of the children. Matthew looks so cute in his festive outfit!